Yesterday, I attended the Silicon Valley OpenStack Ops Meetup and held a troubleshooting session focusing on Cinder, Keystone and Nova. The event was hosted by Nimble Storage, ElasticBox and SwiftStack. The focus of this Meetup was to share tips and tricks.
The event was hosted at Nimble Storage’s campus in San Jose, CA.
Even though the San Francisco Giants were playing their first World Series game, roughly 100 people attended the event. I think this is a pretty good turnout for the first Silicon Valley OpenStack Ops Meetup.
I was lucky and gathered a slot together with Wen Yu to cover OpenStack Shared Storage and Troubleshooting Tips and Tricks. To be honest, I have never been this nervous before. This was the first time speaking in front of more than 20 people.
5:45 PM – Doors Open, Food Served, Meet and Greet
6:20 PM – Bill Borsari & Pat Darisme ( Meetup Organizers ), Nimble Storage – Meet Up kickoff
6:30 PM – Ravi Srivatsav ( CEO ), ElasticBox – Avoiding cloud lock-in to give you total freedom to build, manage, and deploy applications faster than ever before.
6:50 PM – John Dickinson ( SwiftStack technical lead & OpenStack Swift PLM ), SwiftStack – Swift Product Line Manager talks about Object Storage and Swift in the Enterprise
7:10 PM – Wen Yu ( Nimble Product Manager ) & Jan Schwoebel ( Nimble Virtualization Support Lead ), Nimble Storage – OpenStack Shared Storage and TroubleShooting Tips and Tricks
7:30 PM – 9 PM – Meet the Presenters
- Bill Bosari and Pat Darisme kicked off the event and welcomed all participants, who made it to the event even though the SF Giants had the first World Series Game.
- Mission: ElasticBox empowers business to innovate faster by making it insanely easy for IT, ops and developers to build, manage and deploy applications in the cloud
- Build any application and host it within any, supported, cloud (Amazon, Google, VMware, OpenStack,…)
- Seamlessly migrate applications from cloud to cloud, don’t be locked down to one cloud solution
- Share applications and “boxes” with people
- Boxes are a bundle of packages
- John Dickinson – Slides can be found here
- What is Swift?
- Swift is an Object Store
- Great for unstructured data which grows and grows (Images, Videos, Documents,…)
- What problem does Swift solve?
- It is build for availability and durability
- Users do no longer have to worry about where the data is located
- Great manageability
- Migrate data without any downtime for your users
- HowdoesSwiftStack fit in?
- Provides a manage and control center for Swift
- Add two additional components, controller & gateway
- Gateway is a SMB/CIFS and NFS server
- SwiftStack will provide an all-day workshop in SF on October 28th. Details can be found here
- What is Swift?
- Wen Yu
- Value of Shared Storage
- Nimble Cinder Features
- ITO – Image Transfer Optimization.
- Jan Schwoebel
- OpenStack Troubleshooting and Tips
- About me
- Troubleshooting Keystone
- Troubleshooting Cinder
- Troubleshooting Nova
Unfortunately, I haven’t received the slides from Robin and John yet. However, as soon as I receive them, I’ll add them to this post.